Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/angelika/public_html/plugins/system/tagmeta/tagmeta.php on line 197
Angelikanm.gr - Angelikanm.gr


Neos Marmaras Today
The area is characterized by its green landscape sincein the majority of its 20km of coastline, the pine trees grow all the way down to the beach. Visitor can enjoy the clear shores of Neos Marmaras (e.g. Paradisos, Grigoriatioko, Koutsoupia, Azapiko etc). Around the village, there are a lot of small and scenic ports, beautiful isolated beaches and a complex of small islands (Spalathronisia). Visitors are able to reach the beaches either by boat from the sea or by car/motorcycle and enjoy the clear and deep blue sea under the golden sun.


Another place of interest for one to visit is the isolated island called ‘Kelufos’ which is full of wild goats and it is known for its spectacular seabed, which underwater photographers call ‘a paradise’. During the summer period, various daily excursions and cruises are organized to Mountain of Athos, to the Toroneos gulf, for mountain biking, for trekking, for bird watching etc. for Greek music’s nights and for many other events and celebrations also take place during summer season.
The village of Neos Marmaras is situated on the main road of Sithonia which connects it with the other villages of the peninsula, like Toroni, Sykia, Sarti, Vourvourou, Nikiti and Ag.Nikolaos. There are daily itineraries by bus to Thessaloniki via Nea Moudania or Poluguros (http://www.ktel-chalkidikis.gr/). The village offers bank services (National Bank of Greece, Eurobank, Alpha Bank) as well as a community clinic, a post office, a custom house, a port authority and a public medical center at 25km distance.


History of Neos Marmaras
After the distructive events of 1922,the village of Neos Marmaras was founded by refugees that came from the island of Marmaras, in Propontida, in Minor Asia. Since 1967, a great number of the residents from the neighboring village of Parthenonas moved to Neos Marmaras. Finally, in 1970, the village of Parthenonas was abandoned and all its former residents became permanent residents of Neos Marmaras.
The refuges of Marmaras, Minor Asia, with their hard work and the assistance of their compatriots that had immigrated to the USA, started building up their new hometown. First they built their school and the church of Pammegistwn Taksiarxon (founded in 1937) with personal labor and significant financial support from their compatriots from the USA. The first ‘regular’ transportation route connecting the area with the Thessaloniki started at the spring of 1946 via sea.
In the spring of 1952, Neos Marmaras was connected by road to the nearby village of Nikiti. That was the initial effort for the road connection of the village with the rest of Halkidiki and Thessaloniki, while in 1959 the first municipal roll and census took place. In that period, the permanent residents of Neos Marmaras were 1200. In 1972, the construction of the New Aqueduct was finished, which supplied the largest part of the village with running water. In 1979-1980 the city hall was built up, in which the high school were lodged for seven years.


In 1985, the Paschalakio Cultural Center was established (http://proikonnisos.blogspot.com), where the local traditional museum and cultural center is lodged. The building was supported by the local government with the contribution of the compatriot Artemisias Paschalaki, of whom the name comes from. The current permanent residents are approximately 3000 and they are occupied with fishing, agriculture, and honey cultivation and mainly with tourism activities.